BAKE | Maltesers Cupcakes + Chocolate ButtercreamThursday, August 29, 2013
I just can't go past a good cupcake and love making them with all different flavour combinations and toppings. These Maltesers Cupcakes have a vanilla cake base, with crushed Maltesers folded through it, then topped with a chocolate buttercream.
I don't remember where this recipe came from but it's super easy and always makes for light and fluffy cupcakes which can be easily changed with different flavours.
MALTESERS CUPCAKE RECIPE
110 g butter (softened)
1 1/2 C castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 C plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 C milk
1 large bag of Maltesers, lightly crushed
001. Set oven to 180°C fan bake.
002. Add butter into a large mixing bowl and use an electric mixer to beat until smooth.
003. Add the sugar and vanilla and continue to beat together on high for a couple of minutes, until pale and fluffy.
004. Beat eggs in well, 1 at a time.
005. Sift flour and baking powder into the bowl and beat together.
006. Add in the milk and fold mixture until a smooth consistency.
007. Add in the Maltesers - this is where you can add as many or as little as you'd like! Fold in lightly.
008. Spoon into cupcake cases about 3/4 full and pop into the oven for 13 - 15 minutes or until a knife or skewer come out clean.
CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM ICING
150 g softened butter
2 C icing sugar
1/4 C cocoa powder
2-3 tbsp warm water
001. Use an electric mixer on high to whip up butter.
002. Add in sifted icing sugar and cocoa with 2 tbsp of water and mix until it all comes together. If the icing seems a bit stiff, add in another tablespoon of water.
003. Pop in piping bag with any tip you'd like, I used a star tip and swirl on the cooled cupcakes. Finish off with a Malteser on top, or even a few crushed up pieces.